Thursday, October 10, 2013

Fall season

My favorite season of the year is fall. I think that southerners probably appreciate fall more than anyone.After living through repressive,heat,humidity,and bugs for so long,that first hint of cooler,drier air feels like the breath of God promising better times ahead.It was 51 degrees here this morning with almost no humidity in the air. Fall is also the time of the year when Mother Nature shoots for her grand finale. There is an explosion of colors and smells. It reminds me of the end of the big fireworks shows on the Fourth of July.
 And,of course, there is the smell of gunpowder in the air as hunters take to the woods again in the timeless tradition of their ancestors.I was disappointed upon renewing my hunting license to see that they had not added a couple of Congressmen to my bag limit. All of our winter grass has come up around the lodge grounds now, and we are running water sprinklers day and night. The soft,damp ground attracts the armadillos. Armadillos,like Congressmen, serve no useful purpose, and only destroy our beautiful grounds.
 However, there is no bag limit on these pests,and we have declared open season on them. My only concern is that someone will drive up one night and catch me walking around in my underdrawers in the middle of the night with a miner's lamp on my head and a shotgun in my hand. I'm afraid that they might send someone with a butterfly net to catch me.
 We open the 2013-2014 quail hunting season next weekend, and we are all ready to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment