Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thanksgiving

As we enter the Thanksgiving season here at Riverview, we have so many blessings to be thankful for. I would be hesitant to thank God for all of them by name for fear of leaving one out. I am very grateful to see the sunshine after three days of rain which included 5+ inches of rain since Saturday evening. I am also very blessed to live in South Georgia rather than the Mideast or the Midwest of our own great nation following what I have been seeing in Ferguson, Mo. Watching this mess made me think of the following lines from one of Willie Nelson's old songs, "Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses". The opening lines to that song has the following words: " Grandpappy told my pappy, back in my day,son, a man had to answer for the wicked he done. Take all the rope in Texas, find a tall oak tree, round up all them bad boys. Hang them high in the street for all the people to see".
 Our country has lost its way, and justice is not being handed out swiftly and surely. Until the lawless learn that there are severe consequences for their crimes, they will just get bolder and more destructive. I am not saying that I would personally enjoy seeing them dead, but I sure would enjoy reading their obituaries.
 OK, that's it for my political diatribes, but I am very grateful to live in a small rural community where people look after one another regardless of race or economic status. I believe that the world can really be divided into two categories, rural and urban. By and large, I have traveled the world in the past five years. Country folks are the same the world over. They try to help you even when they do not speak the same language that you do. I have experienced that personally. So I am going to close my short Thanksgiving message with this comment, "Thank God, I'm a country boy"!

1 comment:

  1. God Bless you and family, Cader and all those good folks back home in Camilla and Mitchell County. I think of you all often. Happy Thanksgiving.

    Orson

    ReplyDelete