Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving

We are a seasonal business, and three of our major holidays come during our hunting season. Years ago we recognized that we could not afford to close down for all three of them. We are open for business on Thanksgiving and New Year's Eve and Day, but we shut down for a solid week for Christmas. Christmas is about the mid point of our season, and that long break allows all of the guides,dogs,kitchen/housekeeping, and management to come back refreshed for the last half of season.

So, since we are open on this Thanksgiving Day, we have guests and all of the Cox family arriving this evening for Thanksgiving dinner at The Lodge. There will be 16 Cox family members here, and I feel sorry for any guests who are late arriving to the buffet line tonight. My crowd will range from almost three years old to almost 14, and they will be a lively bunch. Thank goodness for private dining rooms and well insulated walls.

 As I sit here, I decided to list just a few of the things that I am thankful for today. While this list, by no means, encompasses all of my blessings, I just wanted to list a few:
I am thankful that I worship a God who is in charge and has a plan, although I wish that he would share it with me as this old world has me very confused at the moment.
I am thankful for my wonderful family--wife,children,grandchildren, and in-laws.
I am thankful to work with the best group of folks in the world.
I am thankful to have had the opportunity to grow up and work on one of the prettiest places that God ever created.
I am thankful for good health which we all too often take for granted.
 I am thankful for the best group of friends that a man could ever ask for.
 And I am very thankful and appreciative of the guests who have visited and hunted with us over the years, and who have become a part of the Riverview family.

I wish everyone a safe and happy Thanksgiving Day !

1 comment: