Monday, March 14, 2016

2015-2016 hunting season has officially ended

People often ask me towards the end of a hunting season, " Will you be happy to see the hunting season end?" I always respond with the same answer, " The day that I am not excited about hunting season beginning is the day that I will get out of it, and the day that I am not excited about seeing one end is the day that I will have myself committed to a mental institution".This n a high touch, high pressure job that carries an element of risk each day. To do that day in and day out for almost six months requires a total commitment. Now my definition of a total commitment can best be described as the conversation between the pig and the chicken when they were talking about a breakfast of ham and eggs. The pig says to the chicken, " For you it's a donation, but for me, it's a TOTAL COMMITMENT".

We had a great season, and one that was 100% safe ! Nothing got shot except quail, and quite a few of them escaped the season unscathed also. I'm reasonably certain that we had several groups at Riverview this season who were practicing" shoot and release" programs. Y'all have heard me praise our English Cockers so much that I will just mention in passing that we had very few lost dead birds this season which is something every true hunter feels good about. I just abhor the idea of killing a bird and not being able to find him.

Speaking of dogs, any of you who have read my posts know that I have always said that I would like to be as good of a person as my dog thinks I am. I recently read this quote by James Thurber who stated,"If I have any belief about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons will". Well, I have very strong beliefs about life after death, and I know where heaven is and with whom I will be. Although I can't find it in the Bible, I choose to believe that I'm going to see some of my beloved dogs again up there.

We are taking inventories today, and will begin burning our woods tomorrow. I hope y'all have a great spring and summer !

1 comment:

  1. Safety sounds like the BEST season. Quail, even some dead ones escape but that is to be expected. The high class, high quality staff of professionals at Riverview, and I include everyone who is an Associate there, makes a visit to your plantation a true joy. Thanks for the great experiences and memories. Ron

    ReplyDelete